There are getting to be a number of trained Collaborative Law attorneys in Texas and other places. That's good because it gives clients more to choose from. On the flip-side, it's sometimes hard for a party to figure out who to hire to help them through the process.
In a previous post, I wrote about how to choose an experienced Collaborative attorney. Here are some reasons why you should want to hire an attorney with good Collaborative experience.
- Experienced attorneys start to recognize and understand different personality types. This helps them in dealing with the parties in a case.
- Attorneys with extensive Collaborative experience naturally have experience and confidence in the other team members. Over time, Collaborative attorneys tend to work with the same attorneys and other professionals in different cases -- not in every case, but often. That helps the professionals trust each other and work together effectively.
- With experience, attorneys become able to recognize problems early on. They can then work with the other professionals to stop problems before them get too big.
- After a while, experienced attorneys begin to learn effective ways to resolve stand-offs. Occasionally, parties will start to get stuck in negotiating and they would have a hard time working out a solution without the attorneys and other professionals. Experienced Collaborative attorneys have often seen such problems before and usually can help the parties work their way out of the difficulty.
- Experienced Collaborative attorneys are more understanding of their own clients. The attorneys are often more sensitive to the feelings and concerns and can more readily help their clients when they start to get down or upset.